Regular exercise can make you feel better and also help to manage and improve health
Exercise on Referral schemes provide participants with the opportunity to engage in a structured programme of physical activity or exercise under the guidance of a suitably qualified exercise professional. The objective is to provide a positive introduction to being active which may act as a catalyst to long-term behaviour change. Activate Health offer the opportunity for individuals to participate in safe and effective exercise sessions, either on a one to one basis or as part of a group.
Regular exercise can make you feel better and also help to manage and improve health, you may be referred by your GP or Health Care Professional to Activate Health. An Exercise on Referral programme begins with a health consultation carried out by your Exercise Specialist who works with you to design your own exercise programme specifically to meet your ability and health needs.
The exercise programme is usually gym-based but in some instances may include water-based activity. After following your programme of exercise over a number of weeks you will be given an end-of-programme assessment to check your progress and help you decide how you may wish to continue exercising. Exercise Specialists hold a recognised qualifications which allow them to work with participants experiencing a range of conditions such as obesity, diabetes, arthritis, high/low blood pressure and anxiety/depression.
Exercise Centres and Health Clubs that wish to provide this specialist service giving them the opportunity to be accredited, offer a broader service to their members, thus enabling them to reach a wider client base, may wish to contact us directly. It is the instructor/exercise professional that receives the accreditation certificate and their place of work that becomes recognised for that achievement.
Our responsibility is:
- To conduct a structured ‘Health & Exercise Consultation’
- Liaise with the relevant health care professionals
- To establish the specific needs and requirements of the individuals
- To write a training programme suitable to achieve their necessary needs and goals
- To provide an induction session teaching the appropriate activities
- To monitor and make progressions accordingly
- Encourage self monitoring and evaluation of own abilities and well-being
- To encourage adherence and permanent lifestyle change
Some of the improvements and benefits that can be made through participating in appropriate and structured physical activity are listed below: (this is just an outline there are many more)
- Increased confidence and well-being
- Weight maintenance or loss
- Increased circulation
- Increased mobility and flexibility
- Reduced angina
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Reduced cholesterol
- Reduction of arthritic pain
- Reduced risk of diabetes or improved blood glucose control for diagnosed diabetics